Thursday, November 17, 2011

Feedback on "Fool's Goldfish"



(If you'd like to read the story this feedback refers to, namely, "Fool's Goldfish", then please click on this link: This is a link to "Fool's Goldfish".


''Fool's Goldfish'' by Matt McHugh  - WHAT THE JUDGE(S) LIKED ABOUT YOUR SCRIPT - ......Even though there were so many larger words in the opening paragraph I almost got lost (I'd suggest fewer large words; there's just too many in that opening), I LOVED Malcolm's voice and thought it was well-developed. I also like that the writer has given us a very clear picture of Malcolm's personality right in the opening--and that he's likable. Your "lovable geek" so to speak. Very nice work on this. I also like the pithy dialogue.............Malcolm's infatuation with Sally strikes a humorous tone and plays well within the storyline. Their search for the missing goldfish is a sort of representation for their dynamic..........................................................

WHAT THE JUDGES FEEL NEEDS WORK - ......I was confused about what kind of fish was lost, because we were never told that he was in a bowl and somehow made it into the koi pond? (By the way, "koi" is the correct spelling). And I also didn't understand the pond WAS a koi pond until the end, so I'd suggest that somewhere up front we get a much more clear explanation of the fish was in a bowl, and now he's lost, and why Malcolm would believe the fish made it from the bowl to the pond. I just really didn't understand that. In addition, how old IS Malcolm? I'm assuming he's a teenager, so I'd also establish this--when he's referencing his gran's fish, I thought he was maybe 10, but using all of that upper-end language just isn't likely for a 10-year-old (if he's a genius, then establish that). I'd also suggest adding dialogue tags or stage business during the conversation with Sally--the back and forth was difficult to follow.............The overall storyline could use some more action/interesting events. While the main events of them searching for the goldfish has a distinct thematic value, try adding layers of complexity............................…........................

No comments:

This website and all content copyright © 2007-2020 Matthew T. McHugh. All rights reserved. Any use of this content without the express written consent of Matthew T. McHugh is strictly prohibited.